The CAP Foundation (CAPF) supports the many activities undertaken by the CAP in support of physics education and physics student activities. The fund derives all of its income from Individual and Corporate Member donations. The fund is administered by a Board of Directors appointed by the CAP Board of Directors
The CAPF supports a wide range of activities to encourage excellent young physics students across the country, including:
- the annual CAP Lecture Tour, in which outstanding speakers from the CAP membership are supported jointly by the CAP and by host university departments to deliver special physics lectures to undergraduate students at Canadian universities between January and April of each year;
- the High School Prize Examination, in which approximately 700 high school students from across Canada compete each year for cash prizes and award certificates at the regional and national levels;
- the Lloyd G. Elliott University Prize Examination, in which approximately 100 students from across Canada compete each year for cash prizes and award certificates;
- the Boris P. Stoicheff Memorial Graduate Scholarship, a joint CAPF/OSAF scholarship in the amount of $3,000 awarded to a graduate student who has demonstrated both research excellence and significant service to the optics (OSAF) or physics (CAP) community
- the Canadian Undergraduate Physics Conference, which is hosted each fall at a Canadian university — the CAPF provides a contribution to travel support for students to attend the conference;
- the Canada-America-Mexico (CAM) Graduate Student Conference, which is held every second year, alternating between Mexico, the US, and Canada — the CAPF provides a contribution to travel support for students to attend the conference;
- the Canada-Wide Science Fair, for which the CAPF provides cash prizes and award certificates.
The CAP Foundation urgently needs your support in order to continue the sponsorship of these important activities in support of physics education and outreach in Canada (click here to see the CAPF Board of Directors’ 2015 Annual Report)!
Contributions may be made by anyone, at any time, using the online contribution form, and CAP members are also invited to contribute at the time of their annual membership renewal.
Tax receipts will be issued for donations of $10 or more. Please give generously!