The 8th Edition of Women in Physics Canada (WIPC 2019) will be held from June 25 to 28th, 2019 at University of McGill in Montréal, Québec. This professional conference aims to create a space where participants can build networks, explore career paths, and present research, while also promoting gender equity and taking part in conversations about women in physics, mental health, and LGTBQ+ issues. Among other things, this conference will showcase:
- Scientific presentations from internationally renowned researchers in physics.
- Workshops on mental health in academia, building inclusive teams, and leadership.
- Seminars on the current situation for women and underrepresented groups in physics, and strategies to improve it.
- Discussion panels on career choices and diversity.
- Networking activities.
- Student talks and presentations.
Numerous studies demonstrate that diverse and inclusive environments promote performance, creativity, innovation, and success. Despite this, the fields of science and technology continue to suffer from a lack of diversity. The goal of this conference is therefore to support and encourage female and non-binary people in the early stages of their career to persist in this field. To achieve this goal, this conference will offer the opportunity for participants to:
- Take part in a professional conference and present their own research.
- Participate in collectively raising awareness about obstacles that gender minorities face in physics.
- Build a network of contacts on the national scale.
- Get informed about opportunities for careers in science and industry.
Date: June 25-28, 2019
Location: McGill University, Montréal
Previous WIPC locations:
- 2018 – Université de Sherbrooke, Québéc
- 2017 – University of Waterloo, Ontario
- 2016 – University of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan
- 2015 – Fields Institute, University of Toronto, Ontario
- 2013 – Simon Fraser University, British Columbia
- 2012 – University of British Columbia, British Columbia
- 2011 – Perimeter Institute, Ontario