The 9th Edition of Women in Physics Canada (WIPC 2020) will be held from July 7-10th, 2020 at University of Manitoba in Winnipeg. This professional conference aims to create a space where participants can build networks, explore career paths, and present research, while also promoting gender equity and taking part in conversations about women in physics, mental health, and LGTBQ+ issues. Among other things, this conference will showcase:
- Scientific presentations from internationally renowned researchers in physics.
- Workshops on mental health in academia, building inclusive teams, and leadership.
- Seminars on the current situation for women and underrepresented groups in physics, and strategies to improve it.
- Discussion panels on career choices and diversity.
- Networking activities.
- Student talks and presentations.
Numerous studies demonstrate that diverse and inclusive environments promote performance, creativity, innovation, and success. Despite this, the fields of science and technology continue to suffer from a lack of diversity. The goal of this conference is therefore to support and encourage female and non-binary people in the early stages of their career to persist in this field. To achieve this goal, this conference will offer the opportunity for participants to:
- Take part in a professional conference and present their own research.
- Participate in collectively raising awareness about obstacles that gender minorities face in physics.
- Build a network of contacts on the national scale.
- Get informed about opportunities for careers in science and industry.
Date: July 7-10, 2020
Location: University of Manitoba, Winnipeg
Previous WIPC locations:
- 2018 – Université de Sherbrooke, Québéc
- 2017 – University of Waterloo, Ontario
- 2016 – University of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan
- 2015 – Fields Institute, University of Toronto, Ontario
- 2013 – Simon Fraser University, British Columbia
- 2012 – University of British Columbia, British Columbia
- 2011 – Perimeter Institute, Ontario