The 2019 CAP Lecture Tour will feature presentations that span a wide range of current topics in physics. Lectures will take place between January and April 2019 at participating physics departments in Canada.
A call for speaker nominations will be issued in September for submission to the CAP Office by the end of the month. Then, a list of potential speakers will be developed. Once the speakers are confirmed, the lecture dates will be finalized and posted on the website. To meet the tour’s objective of enhancing the visibility of the CAP and of promoting student memberships, it is essential that all speakers be willing to act as ambassadors for the association. A brief set of slides introducing the CAP and the Lecture Tour sponsors is provided to each speaker for presentation during the introduction to the lecture. Host universities, who must be CAP departmental members to participate in the tour, are requested to promote the lecture as a joint CAP-university sponsored special event.
All tour plans and associated budgets will be developed and managed by the Regional Coordinators. CAP departmental members seeking to host a CAP lecture in 2019 should contact their Regional Coordinator to make arrangements. Ideally, speakers will visit two or three institutions in one trip to keep overall costs at a reasonable level. To ensure that a broad range of speakers can participate in the tour, the maximum number of talks that will be supported for any individual speaker is five.
The planning milestones for the 2019 CAP Lecture Tour are as follows:
- September 13: Call to CAP members for speaker nominations (full name, affiliation, e-mail, short bio, presentation title and abstract required)
- September 28: Deadline for speaker nominations
- October 12: List of speakers and abstracts available on the Web. Invitation to CAP member departments to view the speaker list and submit the students’ top 3 choices to Regional Coordinators
- November 12: Deadline for CAP member departments to submit the students’ top 3 choices with available dates and times to Regional Coordinators
- November 19: Regional Coordinators submit tour schedules and budget plans to the National Coordinator and the CAP Office.
- November 29: National Coordinator confirms accepted speaker schedules and regional budgets.
- Nov. 30 – Dec. 4: Regional Coordinators send invitations to speakers
- December 10: Deadline for speakers to confirm their participation
- December 21: Lecture dates are posted on the website when finalized
- January – April: The CAP Lecture Tour takes place at participating departments?
- May 31: Deadline for speakers to submit all expense claims to the CAP office.