NOTE: This medal will be awarded in 2021. Nominations are officially open.
Deadline : April 15, 2021.
Know a worthy candidate for this award? See below for nomination criteria and procedure. Ready to nominate? Click here to go to the medal nomination system.
This medal is to recognize significant contributions in any field of research by a Canadian physicist who has successfully defended their doctoral thesis within the last 12 years, excluding an allowance of one year per child for parental leave and, NEW FOR 2021, a one year allowance to reflect the impact of COVID-19 in 2020 will automatically be applied to eligible nominations.
The next medal will be awarded in 2021.
Nominations are officially open
Deadline: April 15, 2021
Ebrahim Karimi | University of Ottawa
- The nominator must be a member of the CAP.
- The nominee must be a member in good standing of the CAP or a Council-approved Canadian professional science society (see list below) in order to be nominated.
- The nominee must have spent the major part (i.e. more than one-half) of his/her working career in Canada or must have made a major contribution to physics after returning to a permanent position in Canada.
- In the year of the award, the nominee must normally be within 12 years of his/her thesis defence. For example, the thesis defence must have occurred on or after January 1999 for the 2011 award.
- More than 12 years are allowed to account for special circumstances, e.g., parental or medical leave. Proper documentation must be submitted.
- NEW FOR 2021, a one year allowance to reflect the impact of COVID-19 in 2020 will automatically be applied to eligible nominations.
Council-approved Canadian professional science society
The nominee must belong to one of the following societies to be eligible for the CAP Herzberg Medal:
- Canadian Association of Physicists
- Canadian Astronomical Society
- Canadian Geophysical Union
- Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
- Canadian Organization for Medical Physicists
- Canadian Society for Chemistry