Know a worthy candidate for this award? See below for nomination criteria and procedure. Ready to nominate? Click here to go to the medal nomination system.
This medal is awarded on the basis of: Distinguished service to physics over an extended period of time, and/or; Recent outstanding achievement. The CAP Medal for Lifetime Achievement in Physics was introduced in 1956 and is awarded annually. The recipient must have spent the major part of his/her working career in Canada.
Dr. Jean-Michel Poutissou
The next medal will be awarded in the year 2019.
The deadline for nominations is November 30, 2018.
- The nominator must be a member of the CAP.
- The nominee must be a member in good standing of the CAP or a Council-approved Canadian professional science society (see list below) in order to be nominated.
- The nominee must have spent the major part (i.e. more than one-half) of his/her working career in Canada or must have made a major contribution to physics after returning to a permanent position in Canada.
Council-approved Canadian professional science society
The nominee must belong to one of the following societies to be eligble for the CAP Medal for Lifetime Achievement in Physics:
- Canadian Association of Physicists
- Canadian Astronomical Society
- Canadian Geophysical Union
- Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
- Canadian Organization for Medical Physicists
- Canadian Society for Chemistry